Tuesday 22 December 2015

Starting applique

I am slightly anxious about applique. I have used applique as part of quilting and never particularly enjoyed doing it, so to do an entire project is a bit daunting. 

As ever, choosing the right image is a large part of the challenge. I have chosen an image that I found in Spain after walking the Camino de Santiago. It is complex but rustic. (I may need the emphasis on "rustic" as I go on!)

I am using silk fabrics throughout and predominantly silk threads also. Thank heavens for The Silk Route - a wonderful shop, so many colours, weights and textures of silk. I end up like a kid in a sweet shop! Working in silk adds it's own difficulties however - the tiny pieces tend to fray. The silk pieces are stitched on to, and completely cover, a background of calico. Then the layers are built up using a variety of paddings to give depth and texture. There is a fair amount of stitching to give detail and depth also. the shields are leather with coloured purl applied. The spears will, eventually, be cocktail sticks I think.


There is masses to do yet, not least of all figuring out how to do two horses and riders!

No comments:

Post a Comment